Frequently Asked Questions

How do I navigate this website?

A website overview and tutorial is available on the Help page.

How do I submit a claim for damage to my vehicle?

Information on the claims process can be found online.

How do I obtain a state map?

The Illinois Official Highway Map is available at all Illinois rest areas. You can also request a map online or by contacting us.

How do I find tollway information?

The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority is responsible for the tollway system in northeastern Illinois. More information can be obtained on the Illinois Toll Highway Authority website 

How can I find information about vehicle license plates, vehicle registrations or title transfers?

The Secretary of State is responsible for motorist services. More information can be obtained on the Secretary of State website 

How can I learn more about upcoming road projects in my area?

The annual highway program, as well as the highways portion of the multi-year multi-modal program list out all planned projects by IDOT district. 

How do I learn about IDOT events?

IDOT hosts or participates in hundreds of events each year. All types of IDOT-related events can be found on the IDOT events calendar.

How do I obtain information on road closures?

Emergency and planned road closures can be found online or by calling 1-800-452-4368 (IDOT). 

How can I obtain department letting information?

Letting information is available on the Construction section of this website. Letting information can also be obtained by joining a subscription list.

How do I learn more about the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)?

FOIA information is available online.

How do I report a pothole on a state-owned highway?

Motorists may report potholes on state highways online or by calling 1-800-452-4368 (IDOT).

How do I learn more about free motorcycle training offered by IDOT?

Illinois is one of two states to offer free motorcycle training. More information can be obtained online.

I was involved in a crash and was given a form to complete. How do I submit the form electronically?

Your report may be submitted online.

IDOT was required by law to conduct a statewide study of traffic stops to collect data to identify racial bias. Where can I view these studies?

Illinois Traffic Stop studies conducted from 2004 to the present can be viewed online.

How do I view scheduled IDOT lettings remotely?

IDOT streams each letting via audio and/or video. This can be found on the IDOT website under Transportation Bulletin: Letting Webcast.